Switching from a Shared to a Dedicated Proxy
If you decide you want to change from a shared proxy to a dedicated proxy, here’s what you need to know about what will happen, what will change, and the order in which things will occur.
Part of getting your own dedicated static IP’s means the IP’s will no longer be from the pool of shared IP’s. Therefore, the largest impact on your environment will be your IP addresses will have to change (since they will be yours exclusively). Additionally, your connection URL security credentials will change.
The steps are pretty straight-forward to request and process a move from a shared static IP proxy to a dedicated static IP proxy.
1) Let us know (create a ticket at Support) requesting a move to a dedicated proxy. Please specify the region for you dedicated proxy to minimize latency. If you don’t mention which region, we’ll place it in the same region as your current subscription.
Supported regions: US-East-1 (N. Virginia), US-West-1 (Oregon), EU-West-1 (Ireland), EU-Central-1 (Frankfurt), AP-Northeast-1 (Tokyo), AP-Southeast-1 (Sydney) and SA-East-1 (Sau Paulo).
2) We’ll get to work setting up the dedicated proxy for you in your preferred region. We add you to a new set of IPs, but the old IPs and connection URL remain active during this process.
At most, this takes 24 hours during the work week, many times just a few hours. Your current service will continue to run with no interruptions while we set this all up for you.
3) Once we have the new dedicated proxy setup complete, we’ll email you that we’re done and include your new IP’s and connection URL. You can view your new credentials in your QuotaGuard dashboard.
4) At this point, you’ll have your current shared proxy running as it was previously. You’ll also have the new dedicated proxy ready for you to test with at your own speed.
You will need to update any firewall/connection rules to have the additional IP’s.
You can test out the new dedicated proxy, pass along the new IPs to any downstream customers, and test as long as you like until you are ready to make the switch.
Once you are done testing, you can make the hot-switch over by changing the connection code (from your QuotaGuard Administration Screen) at your convenience.
If you want us to be online with you ‘live’ when you make the swap, just let us know. However, we’ve never had one of these swaps fail before, it’s simply just changing the connection string and your code.
If you see any issues, you can immediately swap back to the shared proxy as all of your routing will still work there as it was before.
5) Once you are satisfied with the new IPs, write us back at Support so we can deactivate the old IPs/Connection URL.
A) Can I keep using my current subscription until I’m ready to change to the dedicated proxy?
Yes, your current subscription will not be affected.
B) Is there any additional charge for the dedicated proxy?
If you are on an Enterprise plan or above, there is no additional charge.
C) Can I ask for some customization with my dedicated proxy?
Yes, since it’s not shared, we can help with customizing security, load, and throughput, just send us a ticket at Support.
D) I still have questions, who do I reach out to?
We’re always here to help, just write to us at Support.
Ready to Get Started?
Get in touch or create a free trial account